Amity can import emails from Google G Suite and Microsoft Office 365 mailboxes. The emails are stored as Amity engagements and associated with person and account records.
This article covers the following sections:
- What email does Amity import?
- What are unknown senders/recipients?
- Activating email integration
- Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
What email does Amity import?
Amity only imports customer emails between known senders and recipients. Amity does not import internal emails between team members, personal emails, drafts or spam.
To decide which emails to import Amity follows a set of rules. Emails are ignored (i.e. not imported into Amity) if any of the following is true:
- The sender OR any recipients are blacklisted
- The sender AND all recipients are from your company (i.e. internal emails)
- The sender OR all recipients are unknown
What are unknown senders/recipients?
A sender or recipient is unknown when Amity can’t associate their email address with an existing person record and cannot create a new person one. To create a new person record, Amity looks for an account record associated with the same email domain:
- If such account record exists, a new person record is created and the email engagement is recorded.
- If no account record is associated with that email domain, the sender or recipient is deemed unknown.
Activating email Integration
For Google G Suite users, instructions are available here.
For Microsoft Office 365 users, instructions are available here.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
Does Amity auto-create person records from emails?
Yes, Amity auto-creates person profiles from email if:
- The email address is not blacklisted, and
- An existing account profile is associated with the email domain.
Why didn’t Amity sync my email to customer “John Doe” using email@example.com?
There are a few reasons for this:
- There is no person record for “John Doe” with that email address and Amity did not create one because there is no existing account associated with that email domain (acme.com).
- John Doe has a person record but has no email address.
- The email address or email domain is blacklisted.
If there are multiple people with the same email address, which person is associated with the engagement?
All matching people are associated with the engagement, and the engagement record will be displayed on all account profiles.
If a person is associated with multiple accounts, which account is associated with engagement?
Each person profile has a default account. The engagement record will be displayed in the default account’s profile. You can manually select the primary account at the people profile overview level.
If I add a new person record with an email address, will Amity import all prior historical email engagements?
No, Amity will start importing new email engagements after the person record was created. Amity does not import historical email engagements.
Can I prevent emails from being imported?
Yes, you can prevent email exchanges from being imported by using the Blacklist.
Note that using the Blacklist does not remove existing engagements. However, individual engagements can be deleted from either the person or account profiles.
To learn more about the Blacklist, click here.