Amity integrates with Google Workspace (formerly called G Suite and Google Apps).
Amity can import email messages and store them as engagements. Once enabled, the integration will check for new messages every hour.
Allow Amity to access your email
Before Amity can retrieve an email, you must grant us permission to your mailbox.
1. Login to Amity.
2. Click your avatar image in the top right corner.
3. Click My Profile.
4. Click the Authorize button.
5. Click on the account that has the same email as your Amity user.
6. Click the Allow button.
7. To deauthorize Gmail from connecting to Amity, click the Deauthorize button.
Important: Every Amity user who wants the Google G Suite email integration must Authorize Amity's access.
Administrative Setup - Initializing the integration
Before Amity users can authorize their individual Gmail access, your Google administrator will approve the Amity app. This approval does not actually provide any access, but it allows users to safely authorize their own mailboxes.
Step 1: Provide your email domain
Provide the email domain of your Google G Suite account to your Amity Customer Success manager.
The email domain is the portion of your email address that follows the @ symbol. For example, if your email address is email@example.com, then the email domain is yourcompany.com.
Step 2: Add Amity Gmail Integration to your Workspace list of trusted apps
Because the Amity Gmail Integration can access the email of people at your company who have manually approved access, Google requires that the administrator for the Google Workspace approve third-party apps for this purpose. Once the Amity application is added to the 'approved' list, your users may safely and individually approve access to their email for the Amity Gmail Integration. Have your Google Workspace administrator follow the following steps:
- Log into the Google Admin Console (admin.google.com)
- Go to Security > API controls. (admin.google.com/ac/owl)
- Under App access control, select MANAGE THIRD-PARTY APP ACCESS.
- Click Configure new app, and choose OAuth App Name or Client ID.
- Paste the following Amity Client ID into the search field and click Search.
- The search should have found an application named Amity GMail Integration. Click Select.
- You will be prompted with App Access options. Choose Trusted and click Configure.
- In the future you can easily revoke Amity access globally using this control panel.
Step 3: We'll install your Google G Suite integration
Once we have received your email domain, a member of Amity's Customer Success team will install and enable the Google G Suite integration on your behalf.
Administrator Consent Method (Deprecated)
The administrator consent access method uses a Google service account to access email in your company's Gmail system. The benefit of this method is that each user does not need to
individually consent to get up and running.
Part 1: Enable API Access
1. Log into https://admin.google.com.
2. Click the Security icon in the Admin console section. If you do not see the Security icon, click on the More Controls button at the bottom of the page.
3. Click API reference.
4. Look for the API access section. Select the Enable API access check box.
5. Click the Save button.
Part 2: Grant API client access to Amity's service account
1. Scroll down and click Show more.
2. Click Advanced settings.
3. Look for the Authentication section. Click Manage API client access.
4. Copy the following value into the Client Name field:
This value is the unique client name that Google created for Amity's service account.
5. Copy the following API scopes into the One or More API Scopes field:
6. Click Authorize.
The final result will look like this:
Part 3: Provide administrator email address
Provide the email address of your G Suite system administrator to your Amity Customer Success Manager.
- Google does not provide REST API access to Google Groups. As a result, Amity cannot access emails in groups. However, if you sync the mailbox of any user that belongs to a group, Amity will have access to group emails in the user's mailbox.
- Email messages can consist of multiple parts. Each part has a type. The types are plain text, HTML text, and binary file attachments (photos, documents, spreadsheets, etc.). Amity does not parse HTML text or binary attachments. If the email only contains an attachment or HTML text, the message body will appear empty in the Amity engagement. This limitation is rarely a problem because the vast majority of email applications will generate both plain text and HTML text whenever a message is created.